Twitter's constant growth and powerful tools make it a medium that can do wonders for your small business. Twitter followers are more likely to buy from brands they follow and recommend products and services to friends. The highly shareable "retweet" feature allows users to quickly pass on information that they say is important or interesting enough to share with their followers and encourages interaction or involvement with potential customers or clients. The Re-tweet is the viral marketing component of Twitter and can be indicated by adding ‘RT @username’ in front of the original tweet.
Retweeting is a very popular feature but often underutilized by small business owners and entrepreneurs marketing themselves on social media. Providing value to your followers by offering a discount to everyone that retweets, offer a reward if they mention your business or show a retweet at the ticket counter. A retweet is arguably more important than the original tweet because its a follower that is amplifying your message and the more its retweeted the more viral it becomes. Most importantly retweets show that you published something engaging and interesting that users want to endorse.
The most important benefit of a retweet is the promotion of your twitter account and traffic to your website which will help your content to be seen by a much wider audience and potential customers. A small business needs to think about how they are endorse the products and services of their company to their own followers and the ones that are considering doing business with them. Recommendations are extremely powerful when customers decide on products or services and having retweets of your posts help become a powerful source of information.
Here are a tips to encourage retweets of your content:
- Make sure what you post is interesting. Say something that people will want to endorse
- Connect with powerful retweeters and use relationship building to find the content they are interested in
- Learn about your readers and what they want to read
- Be the first to break news in your industry, new products or provide specials no one else has
- Include links that people find interesting and want to click on
- Have a call to action and ask for the retweet. Use "please RT" or "please Retweet" on your message
- Thank the people who have retweeted your information
- Make sure to mix up your message and don't always self promote.
What content have you encouraged readers to retweet?